Santa’s come and gone. The twinkly holiday lights have been taken down. School’s back in session. And winter’s only just begun.
*Insert collective sob here.*
The first few months of the year might not be anyone’s favorite. We get it. And we have the solution: 99 solutions, in fact. (Many of these are also free! Anything designated with an *asterisk are absolutely, totally free.)
Check out these 99 Things to do this Winter in Cincinnati:
1. Go ice skating.
2. Visit one of these under-the-radar indoor playgrounds.
3. Visit the Used Book Store at the Warehouse.
4. Embrace the winter – sled, snow tube, or enjoy some seasonal sports!
5. Explore the Science Interactives Gallery at CMC!
6. Enroll your kids in a new sport — we love fencing!
7. Take a winter walk at the Cincinnati Nature Center.
8. Burn off the winter crazies at Recreations Outlet.
9. Start 2020 off on a stylish note: sign up for a personal shopping sesh (for yourself – and maybe some friends!) at Clothes Mentor.*
10. Sign your kids up for the Spring Session at TCT Academy.
11. Go to the Taft Museum for Sunday Funday.*
12. Visit Happen, Inc. and do something creative!*
13. Venture to Columbus to visit the Dinosaur Exhibit at COSI!
14. Explore the Behringer-Crawford Museum in Devou Park.
15. Check out the American Sign Museum.
16. See the Apollo 11 Command Module Columbia – in person! – at CMC’s Destination Moon. (Through Feb. 17)
17. Let the kids explore the Kids’ Area at Madeira Library!*
18. Make a one-of-a-kind candle at Petals & Wicks.
19. Learn about aviation at the Air Force Museum.*
20. Catch a larger-than-life flick at the OMNIMAX!
21. Spend an afternoon indoors at one of these Yelp-approved places for indoor fun.
22. Learn about a historical icon at TCT on Tour’s Coretta Scott King. (Jan. 18-19 at TCT’s Showtime Stage)
23. Take in the winter views of Cincy aboard the SkyStar Wheel.
24. Donate your kiddo’s extra toys through one of these local programs.
25. Tour your local fire station – for free!*
26. Get creative at the Main Library MakerSpace.*
27. Clean out your kids’ closets for spring and sell them to Once Upon a Child!*
28. Make something for Valentine’s Day at a local craft studio.
29. Volunteer somewhere with your kids.*
30. Check out Cincy’s largest pet adoption event on Feb. 15-16.
31. Watch the cutest parade in town: the Cincinnati Zoo’s Penguin Parade! Watch these cute creatures waddle down the runway at 11 am on weekends from Jan. 5-March 13 — as long as temps are below 50 degrees.
32. See sea creatures (including two dozen brand-new baby alligators!) at Newport Aquarium.
33. Enjoy the arts at Second Sunday Family Showtime at the Clifton Cultural Arts Center.
34. Join us at Cincinnati Parent’s Discovery Day 2020! Presented by Full Throttle Adrenaline Park and Event Center, this *epic event* happens Jan. 25 from 12-3 pm at Entertrainment Junction’s Expo Center. It’s FREE to attend, features the best of the best camps, classes and resources for Cincinnati parents, *and* all attendees can purchase discounted Do-It-All Tickets to Entertainment Junction, the world’s largest indoor train display!
35. Learn about maple syrup at one of the many Great Parks events in February.*
36. Bundle up and walk the Loveland Bike Trail.*
37. Sign your kiddo up for a Families Create! class at the Weston Gallery.
38. Explore REC Center at the Cincinnati Art Museum.*
39. Score half-price admission and special winter-themed animal encounters at the Cincinnati Zoo’s Penguin Days! (Jan. 5-March 13)
40. Channel summer by enjoying family swim at one of these indoor pools.
41. Bundle up and dig for fossils at Trammel Fossil Park.
42. Explore Jungle Jim’s — have your kids pick out something crazy to try!
43. Celebrate President’s Day with a visit to The William Howard Taft National Historic Site.*
44. Celebrate the circle of life at Broadway in Cincinnati’s Disney’s The Lion King. (Jan. 8-Feb. 2)
45. Go roller skating!
46. Bundle up and head to Summit Park’s Nature Playscape.
47. Take your kids out to eat — for free!*
48. Wander around Highfield Discovery Gardens (winter admission is just $2.50/kid!)
49. Explore Totter’s Otterville.
50. Perfect your laser tag game at Lazer Kraze.
51. Say “Leapin’ Lizards” when The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati presents Annie Jr. at the Taft Theater. (Feb. 29-March 8)
52. Enjoy a family-friendly Friday show at Fitton Center for the Arts.
53. Tour the Cincinnati Observatory Center.
54. Learn all about plants at Krohn Conservatory.
55. Admire old-fashioned automobiles at this classic car museum in Butler County.*
56. Send your kids to the Dungeon — at King Arthur’s Court Toys, of course!*
57. Let your kids be real-life superheroes for a day at iFly!
58. Get excited for Opening Day by exploring the Reds Hall of Fame Museum.
59. Check out the World’s Largest Indoor Train Display.
60. Take a road trip to one of Ohio’s 8 National Parks!*
61. Take a day trip to the world’s largest children’s museum.
62. Bundle up and take in the sculptures at Pyramid Hill.
63. Make 2020 the year you finally conquer the Butler County Donut Trail!
64. See what LEGOland Discover Center is all about.
65. Make a Valentine’s Day craft at your local library.*
66. Make-and-paint something for your sweetie at one of these local pottery shops.
67. Try glow bowling at Main Event!
68. Go go-karting at The Web Extreme!
69. Bundle up and take a hike at a nature preserve.*
70. Laugh out loud at a Madcap Puppet show.
71. Land on the Moon alongside Armstrong himself at CMC’s Neil Armstrong Space Exploration Gallery.
72. Check out some of the city’s coolest museums — for free! — with a Cincinnati Library Discovery Pass.*
73. Visit the Fire Museum of Greater Cincinnati and sit in a real engine!
74. Spend a morning admiring the nation’s largest full-motion urban layout – Cincinnati in Motion!
75. Let your kids climb to new heights at Mosaic Climbing.
76. Try one or all of these 20 kid-friendly things always available for FREE in Cincinnati.*
77. Snow tube at Perfect North Slopes!
78. Make a DIY floral arrangement at Two Little Buds Florist.
79. Take a staycation at Great Wolf Lodge.
80. Enjoy some good, old-fashioned comfort food from one of these Yelp favorites.
81. Ride the Cincinnati Bell Connector all the way around the loop.
82. Buy your 2020 Great Parks motor vehicle permit (just $10 for Hamilton County residents!) — then explore a new park!
83. Kick it old-school at Skatetown USA.
84. Ride the (indoor) carousel at Carol Ann’s Carousel.
85. Let the kids run wild at USA Ninja Challenge!
86. Venture up to Dayton to explore Carillon Historical Park.
87. Go on an epic underground adventure in CMC’s Cave.
88. Mark your calendar for this year’s FREE museum admission dates!
89. Burn off some energy at one of these kid-approved fitness classes.
90. Channel spring by bundling up and visiting a new-to-you playground.*
91. Get the full theatre experience at Broadway in Cincinnati’s Les Misérables. (Feb. 11-23)
92. Fly away to a magical land with Cincinnati Ballet’s Swan Lake. (Feb. 13-16)
93. Spend an entire day exploring CMC.
94. Explore the children’s museum at COSI – it’s definitely worth a trip!
95. Check out Cincinnati’s famous treehouse.
96. Peruse these 100 Things Every Cincinnati Kid Needs To Do — and start checking things off!
97. Take a road trip to one of these only-in-Ohio landmarks.
98. Celebrate Dr. Seuss’ birthday (March 2) with one of many story times or activities around town.
99. Spring forward March 8! Do something fun with your extra hour of daylight.
Are you out enjoying the fun? Please let us know! We’d love to see your pics, send Twitter shouts our way and/or repost your family’s smiling faces. Include @cincyparent #CPWinter in any of your posts on social media and we’ll find you.